Credits: 3 credits
This course examines the organization, delivery, and financing of health care services from a managerial and policy perspective. Specific focus will be given to the role, responsibilities, and functions of public health services; the integral relationship of public health within the larger health system; and management principles and practices applicable to public health organizations.
This is a required core course for students enrolled in the Master of Public Health (MPH) program. The course is designed as a foundation course that provides learners with a comprehensive understanding of the organization and functions of public health services and the vital role public health plays in the health service system. In addition, this course provides students with a systems perspective for examining the core and elective public health competencies offered in future courses in the MPH program. In this course, we will be discussing the U.S. health care system, how the health service system is organized and the delivery of services. We will also review the history, role and functions of public health services; building to an understanding of relationship of public health services within the health care system and, importantly, in maintaining the health of diverse communities. We will be framing our examination and understanding of public health services within a managerial and policy context so that learners can begin to explore managerial issues and policies that are integral to public health practice.
During and upon completion of the learning experiences, students will have the ability to:
- Identify the key elements and organization of the U.S. health system.
- Describe the different sources for funding health services.
- Discuss the historical development and contributions of the field of public health.
- Identify and describe the core public health functions and the services and programs of the public health system.
- Analyze the role and responsibilities of the public health sector and the relationship to the health care system.
- Discuss key health policies affecting the delivery of public health services.
- Examine the management functions that are necessary for the successful administration and delivery of public health services.
- Examine the determinants of health, including the social determinants of health, and their respective roles in contributing to the health status of communities.
- Compare and contrast the various approaches to building and improving public health in the core areas of public health administration, biostatistics, social and behavioral sciences, epidemiology and environmental health.