Credits: 3 credits
The course examines fundamental theories in health economics and health care finance and the application of these theories in public health administration. The course emphasizes economic issues pertinent to the public health sector as well as concepts and practices in financial management that support the successful leadership and administration of public health organizations.
This is an elective course in the Public Health Services Administration concentration. The course is designed to build upon the foundation established in MPH 601, Organization and Management of Public Health Services, and other relevant core courses that provides learners with the vital role that economics and finance play in healthcare. The course also examines the distribution and utilization of resources and the resultant impact on the health status of various population groups. In addition, students will gain an understanding of how the utilization of healthcare services and the costs associated with the provision of those services in the United States compare with other developed industrialized countries in the context of impact on health status of the relative population. Students will examine the impact of competition in the health services market and the impact on health and social outcomes. The students will be able to better understand the roles and relationships government and the marketplace among policy makers, health care providers, and consumers in shaping the organization and delivery of healthcare services.
During and upon completion of the learning experiences, students will have the ability to:
- Describe the traditional competitive economic model and its application in the U.S. healthcare system.
- Describe the relative value of healthcare in the economy and the determinants of how much should be spent on healthcare services.
- Discuss the demand for healthcare, insurance, and services and the key factors that influence demand and its relationship to improving health status.
- Explain the factors that influence the supply of healthcare services and the implications for determining health policy and the effect on costs, quality, access, and outcomes.
- Describe the issues impacting competition in the healthcare sector and the relevance of the profit motive.
- Examine the issues that affect healthcare workforce development and the impact on the supply and demand for healthcare services.
- Describe the role of government in the provision of health services and the regulation of the marketplace.
- Review and discuss the relative merits and issues of alternative healthcare systems in other developed industrialized countries.
- Discuss the efforts and issues related to reforming the U.S. healthcare system.