Health Care Ethics (Master of Science)
Other Programs Available
Navigate the complex world of health care ethics.
Ethical controversies in health care have recently become broader and more complex. Issues such as end-of-life care, pain and suffering, research ethics, and disparities in health care access are often in the news.
Creighton University’s online Master of Science in Health Care Ethics provides professionals with advanced training in bioethical analysis and decision making.
Through this program, you’ll gain an enhanced capacity to address moral and ethical challenges in a variety of health care settings. You’ll be better equipped to navigate critical and complex conversations about clinical ethics and health care policy. Through rigorous coursework and hands-on practicum experience, your thinking, writing, and decision-making will improve. You will learn to consider legal, ethical, and social implications to best serve patients and families.
Join a national network of like-minded peers.
Creighton’s Master of Science in Health Care Ethics program attracts highly accomplished practitioners from various disciplines and experiences in health care and beyond. As a student in this program, you’ll have the opportunity to engage with fellow students nationwide who are:
- Hospice workers
- Hospital administrators
- Lab technicians
- Medical researchers
- Pharmaceutical representatives
- Social workers
Put theory to practice with our hands-on practicum experience.
As part of your Master of Science in Health Care Ethics curriculum, you’ll participate in a practicum experience tailored to your interests and professional goals. You’ll develop a practical plan for responding to an ethical issue or problem that you’ll identify in collaboration with key individuals at your practicum site. The practicum experience is designed to help you integrate the knowledge you will gain throughout your coursework and apply it in a real-world setting.
Complete your master’s degree fully online in about two years.
Creighton University is one of few major, accredited universities to offer a fully online master’s degree in health care ethics. There is no on-campus residency requirement for this program.
The Master of Science in Health Care Ethics consists of 33 credit hours and can be completed in about two years. If you’re not ready to commit to a master’s program, but are interested in further education in bioethics, we also offer a 15-credit Graduate Certificate in Health Care Ethics.
The Master of Science in Health Care Ethics program consists of 33 credit hours. All students complete 30 hours of core coursework and select a minimum of 3 hours in electives.
- Scholarly Reading and Writing
- Health Policy
- Research Ethics
- Law and Health Care Ethics
- Social and Cultural Contexts of Health Care
- Philosophical Bioethics
- Theories of Justice
- Practical Ethics in Health Care Settings
- Ethical Aspects of End-of-Life Care
- Rescue and Transplantation: Manifestations of Scarcity and Power in U.S. Health Care
- Public Health Ethics
- Catholic Bioethics
- Oral Health Care at the Intersection of Professional and Business Ethics
- Independent Study in Health Care Ethics
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement. See application for specific requirements
- Health Care Bioethics Essay. See application for specific requirements
- Three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members who can speak to your performance in an academic or professional setting
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. Use school code 6121 for this program. This program may also accept prior graduate-level coursework or other test scores in lieu of a GRE score. Contact gradschool [at] creighton [dot] edu for more information
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
To help make your graduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to apply for financial assistance, as well as for graduate student scholarships and fellowships. Here’s how to apply for financial assistance.
- Step 1: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Step 2: We’ll contact you if verification is required
- Step 3: You’ll receive a financial aid award notification
- Step 4: Accept your aid offer
For questions about financial aid, contact:
|Start Classes in||Apply By|
Graduate Certificate in Health Care Ethics – 15 credit hours
This 15-credit online graduate certificate is highly customizable to your interests and career goals. You’ll take a required Scholarly Reading & Writing class, and four electives of your choice.
Graduate Certificate in Health Care Ethics Consultation – 15 credit hours
Gain hands-on experience in ethical assessment, analysis, process, and evaluation—and prepare for the Healthcare Ethics Consultant-Certified exam—in this 15-credit, online certificate program.