Public Health (Master of Public Health)
Make your community stronger by making it healthier.
Promote positive change and transform the health and well-being of your community through Creighton University’s online Master of Public Health (MPH). Pursuing your graduate degree at Creighton means you’ll earn a public health education grounded in the Jesuit values that make up our mission, including caring for the whole person and fighting for the best interests of poor and marginalized populations. If you’re driven to serve others by advocating for health education, solving population health issues, eliminating socioeconomic barriers to a healthy family, and promoting disease control and prevention, this program is for you.
Complete a customized MPH program without ignoring life’s demands.
Creighton’s Master of Public Health program is designed to be flexible. All coursework in the program is completed online and there are no on-campus residencies required. Students who take one course per eight-week term should finish the program in about two and a half years.
Your passions and career goals will help shape your path. Customize your master’s program by choosing from concentrations in Healthcare Management or Health Policy and Ethics. Better yet: courses for the concentration in Healthcare Management count toward a Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management and courses for the concentration in Health Policy and Ethics count toward a Graduate Certificate in Health Care Ethics. Earning a graduate certificate in addition to your master’s degree can be as easy as completing the MPH program.
One of the final requirements of the program, the practice experience, is also designed to be flexible. You’ll work with a practicum coordinator to determine the focus of your practice experience based on your goals and interests, then complete the practicum by working with a public health professional in your area. At the end, you’ll use your experiences to complete your capstone project.
Learn from experienced faculty — and each other.
Creighton’s MPH program is housed within the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies — a unique division within the Graduate School that brings together different concepts and perspectives to provide students with a robust education.
You’ll learn from instructors who have been involved with some of the nation’s leading public health organizations, such as the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the National Association of Local Boards of Health. Our students come from various backgrounds, including pharmaceutical sales, military, dentistry, pharmacy, law, psychology and others.
Combining your viewpoints and experiences with those of a diverse group of students and practiced faculty members allows for a well-rounded education that can position you for success in public health.
What you can do with an online MPH degree
Demand for Medical and Health Services Managers, Health Educators, Community Health Workers and Community and Social Service Specialists is expected to rise more than 12 percent in the next decade. Earning your master’s in public health can be the first step toward a rewarding career promoting healthy individuals, families and communities by solving public health issues.
Source: Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI) – March 2018
To earn the Master of Public Health degree at Creighton University, you must complete 44 credits:
Core Courses (22 credits)
- Writing for Graduate Students
- Organization and Management of Public Health Services
- Social and Behavioral Aspects of Public Health
- Environmental Health
- Introduction to Community Based Participatory Research
- Public Health Ethics
Concentration Courses (15 credits)
Choose between one of the following concentrations:
- Health Policy and Ethics Concentration
- Scholarly Reading and Writing
- Health Policy and Ethics
- Research Ethics
- Law and Healthcare Ethics
- Social and Cultural Contexts of Healthcare
- Healthcare Management Concentration
- Managing Healthcare Organizations
- Health Communication and Informatics
- Healthcare Economics and Finance
- Health Planning and Marketing
- Public Health Leadership
Practice Experience and Capstone (7 credits)
- Pre-Practicum Preparation
- Practice Experience
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement. See application for specific requirements.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members who can speak to your performance in an academic or professional setting
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
To help make your graduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to apply for financial assistance, as well as for graduate student scholarships and fellowships. Here’s how to apply for financial assistance.
- Step 1: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Step 2: We’ll contact you if verification is required
- Step 3: You’ll receive a financial aid award notification
- Step 4: Accept your aid offer
For questions about financial aid, contact:
gpfinaid [at] creighton [dot] edu
|Start Classes in||Apply By|