All Creighton University students enrolled in an online/distance program or course are required to have a laptop computer that meets or exceeds the below requirements. Any additional program or course-specific hardware or software requirements will be listed in the course syllabus.
All Creighton University students are required to have a laptop computer that meets or exceeds the below requirements. Any additional program/course-specific hardware or software requirements are listed in course syllabi. Additional requirements for students in Dentistry, Nursing and other Health Professions programs are listed at the bottom of this page.
|Operating System||Windows: 10
Mac: High Sierra
|Display Size||11.6” or higher|
|Processor||Intel Core i5 or higher or equivalent (Windows/Mac)|
|Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Memory (RAM)||8 GB or higher|
|Hard drive||250 GB or higher|
|Camera, speakers, microphone||Internal|
|Headset/ear buds||With built-in microphone|
|Internet speed||3.0 Mbps upload/3.0 Mbps download|
|Office 365||Free for all students|
Latest version of:
Students are highly encouraged to install Firefox and Chrome in addition to the installed browser.
Latest version of:
Examples of laptop computers appropriate for online learning tools and activities include:
- PC laptop
- PC 2-in-1
- Surface Pro or Book with required keyboard
- Macbook laptop
Note on Tablets and Operating Systems
- Tablet devices, such as iPad, iPad Pro, Android, Amazon Fire, Chromebook, etc. are not sufficient to support all activities within distance/online programs.
- Virtual operating systems such as Microsoft’s Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion, Apple Boot Camp or any other virtual environments are not allowed.
- Only genuine U.S.-English, French, Portuguese, Swedish, and British versions of Windows operating systems are supported.
All off-campus/distance students are required to purchase their own dedicated home high-speed Internet service at a minimum required speed of 3.0 Mbps upload and 3.0 Mbps download for viewing lecture captures, simultaneous screen sharing and video/audio conferencing. To test connectivity level, go to speedtest.net and run a test.
As part of Office 365, faculty, staff, and students receive five (5) free copies of Office 365 to install on personally owned computers and devices. To access the download, sign in at http://office365.creighton.edu using your netID [at] creighton [dot] edu (i.e. abc12345 [at] creighton [dot] edu) and your Blue password. Click on “Install Office 2016” button. This will locally install Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other Office 365 apps – a great benefit as you will not have to purchase Microsoft Office.
- Office Online: The latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher.
- Installation on up to five (5) PCs or Macs and Office apps on mobile devices including Windows tablets and iPads.
- 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage.
School of Pharmacy and Health Professions
All students in the School of Pharmacy and Health Professions (SPAHP) programs are required to adhere to the distance student technology requirements due to the robust use of learning technologies for both distance/online and campus students.
- Entry-level occupational therapy (OTD), pharmacy (PHA) and physical therapy (PTD) students are required to have digital inking capability. Several models of Windows PCs have built-in inking capability; MacBooks do not. There is no requirement for an iPad. If you own an iPad, several apps are available that allow inking. You must be able to export/save the document as a .PDF or .docx to submit as an assignment.
- While Creighton endorses no particular eWriter brand over another, students have had success with the Wacom Intuos Draw or the Boogie Board Sync for laptops without integrated inking capability.
College of Nursing (CON)
All students in the College of Nursing programs are required to adhere to the distance student technology requirements above due to the robust use of learning technologies for both distance/online and campus students. See admitted student information for additional details.
School of Dentistry (SoD)
All students in the SoD programs are required to adhere to the student technology requirements due to the robust use of learning technologies.